Monday, April 14, 2008

Back from the maiden voyage!!

We returned yesterday from the maiden voyage of our pop up camper! Here is a little summary. There is some scary/funny stuff in the middle, grab a drink!

When we arrived on Friday, it started to rain, but it wasn't too bad, just drizzle mostly. We got it all set up easily. We actually went with a couple, Chris works with her and they have a 5th wheel camper, so we knew that if we had any problems, they had our back! Chris forgot the water hose, which they had a spare, so all was well!

The place was gorgeous!! It's a fairly big lake, when we called for reservations, we asked for lakeside but they were already gone. We ended up in a little loop that backed up to state forest lands and we had a nice creek behind us with this cute mallard duck couple that visited every day! We got across the creek on the rocks and explored the forest and climbed on all the rocks there. Gorgeous!

The first night definately tested out our new used camper! It poured and when I say poured, I mean poured, like buckets with thunder and lightening!! I didn't sleep that well the first night, worrying about if it would leak and I had this paranoia that Chris and I would be too heavy for the one bed and it would collapse in the middle of the night! That did not happen, thankfully, but I still worry! LOL

I put the kids on their bed the opposite way, I laid them sideways so they wouldn't roll out. About 4:30am, Chris hears Jack scream and cry! He gets out of the bed and goes to check, Jack is not in the bed!!!!! He comes and tells me and I was just speechless, ran over to look and he was not there. We could hear him though, but he was nowhere in the camper!! We looked at the door, it was still locked! Chris went outside and Jack was laying on the ground in his sleeping bag in a daze! His sleeping bag was soaked along with his head and his jammie pants. He carries him in and I wrap him up and get his pants changed, then collapse the table and set up that bed for him to use. He had no idea what happened and still doesn't recall it, thankfully!

When Jack sleeps, he always pushes himself up into the corner of his bed and against the wall, I really don't know how he does it, it can't be comfortable. When we checked it out on Saturday morning, what we saw happened is that he must've wedged himself up into the corner like he always does and continued to do it so much that he worked loose the heavy duty velcro that wraps around the mattress and the outside of the camper, then that opened up a gap and he fell out!

We can laugh about it and it will be told for generations, I'm sure! It was just scary at the time when Chris said he wasn't in his bed! Luckily, we both aren't the panic type!

So, that was that! Saturday was gorgeous 76 degrees! The lake was so blue! We flew kites and rode our bikes around the entire lake with our friends. Had a nice feast for supper and did the s'mores thing again. It really was great. We didn't even get to swim in the indoor pool, because it was just too nice to be indoors! The place had 5 playgrounds although we only found 2! The only negative was that there seemed to be a lot of trash laying around, which I can't stand litterers! Made me really sad, I just don't understand how people can be so inconsiderate!

We had to pack it in in the rain Sunday morning but when we got home it was dry here so we popped it back up and let it dry off.

We had fun, the kids had a blast and it's really nice camping with friends! We made dinner jointly, had some drinks and just had a great time!

Oh, and just in case you were wondering, Crocs are not totally heat proof! We got our campfire so hot Saturday night that the outer left front of my mammoth crocs must've melted a bit. You can't really tell, but I can feel it when I move my feet around!

Here are some pics of Otter Lake! www.otterlake.com



This was the back of our campsite:









On the homefront, the kitchen should hopefully be done next week at this time! We are hoping to be able to take delivery of our new appliances next week! I cannot wait!! I miss the sink the most! I've been washing dishes in the bathtub and it's not fun!!

22 comments:

Colleen said...

oh the pictures are terrific! Thanks for all of the details on the trip... felt like I was there... including the heart palpatations (and giggling) about the Jack escapades! I can't even imagine what must have been going through your minds at that point. Cool camper BTW! Happy Camping!

Kate said...

I'VE BEEN THERE LOVELY PLACE! sounds like you enjoyed yourself.

Stacy said...

All in all it sounded like a great time. I camped as a child and have so many great memories of my family and me. Your kids will definitely have many stories to tell.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your new kitchen. I hate that kind of remodel! You are right... washing dishes in the tub STINKS!!!!

Aimeslee Winans said...

Oh my gosh girl glad Jack is safe. Gorgeous photos, but they reminded me, I haveta ask, are u bitter?

Don't think so!

ROFL, have a good one, hope your appliances all come dent-proof and perfect!

Linda said...

Sounds like a wonderful vacation. So glad your ds is ok. I hope you kitchen gets done on time.

merrymstamper said...

amazing tales Rachael...so glad Jack is okay! Sounds like you all had great time...lovely pictures as usual :)
can't wait to see your new kitchen.

Sarah Coggins said...

Which is roughing it more? The campsite or dishes in the tub? ;) Looking forward to seeing your new kitchen. I'm sure it will be GORGEOUS!

Glad you all had a fun trip. And very glad Jack is ok. How scary but now kinda humorous. Definitely one of those stories to have fun with when he's older. Beautiful pictures!!

Penny said...

Wow, those are some gorgeous views!

Amy said...

SOunds like fun! I had to LOL about your little guy. It sounds just like something one of my boys would do!

Nicole said...

looks like you had a blast!! camping seems like such hard work...all of that packing, etc.!! beautiful scenery though...=)

SALTZWORKS said...

Okay, so I want to see how you scrap that one! 'Ah, but for the love of Velcro!'

:) Glad the weather cleared up for a great ride and those fab photos!

Lynn said...

Seems like you all have a wonderful time camping. Its been a while since I've been, but dh and kids go every year.

The photos are terrific and water looks so blue. Awesome.

Hope your kitchen gets done quickly, just the thought of you doing the dishes in the tub is praying that it gets done fast for you.

Patrice~ said...

thank goodness all's well that ends well, Rachael!
And glad Jack is safe and sound.
Pictures are gorgeous.
You are a strong woman!

quiltingnana said...

Ask Chris if he remembers going to Otter Lake when he was little? We never had that kind of an adventure!

Great stories...be sure to scrap them.

Juliana said...

Oh my goodness! I'm glad he's OK - but that is a good story!

Lovely pics!

NurseDeah said...

omg, the pic of the water is awesome!!! looks like yall had a great time!

Carla said...

AWESOME PHOTOGRAPHY! Those pictures are just great. Sounds like you had a good trip all in all. I love to camp, but only do it once a year and we sleep in tents.......

Lora3677 said...

OMG! I love reading your blog... you always provide me with a giggle... poor Jack... but that is HILARIOUS!!

Kendra said...

LOL! I'm so sorry Rachael but that story about Jack is priceless!

Kimberly said...

okay...the jack thing?? SCARY!
love the pics.
sounds like you had a fun time.
toss in some alcohol and i'd be all over it. :wink:

exciting about your new appliances!! when were bought the washer/dryer i was drooling when i looked at a new double oven. and dishwasher that's really two drawers and you can wash one drawer at a time..or both...sweet! lol..okay, enough about appliances! lol...

Melanie said...

Great pics, Rachael! That's a scary story, so I'm glad that you can laugh about it now!

Pearl Maple said...

Beautiful photos from your camping holiday. The photos of your children are always so bright and fresh.